The objective of the Social Work Students’ Association is to promote social work values as expressed in the British Columbia Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics and to serve the general advancement of UBC Social Work students through:
- The promotion of a diverse and inclusive educational environment;
- The representation of the membership to administrative bodies within the School of Social Work, and the University, to the Alma Mater Society and to other such campus organizations of relevance to Social Work Students;
- The organization and coordination of ad hoc committees designed to call attention to issues of social justice both on campus and in the broader community;
- Advocating for student concerns and issues within the school, the campus and the broader community;
- Effective communication between and among Membership, the School administration, the University and the broader community;
- Working and coordinating with other Social Work students across Canada and internationally;
- The provision of facilities, amenities and activities for the benefit of the membership.
Each Social Work student enrolled at the UBC School of Social Work, including part-time and graduate students, shall be an active member of the Association.
The executive of the Association shall have the right to name any student or group of students at UBC or other educational institutions, or any active community member or group as Associate Members; who may participate in the affairs of the Association but shall have no vote.
A membership fee shall be collected from all registered Social Work students on behalf of the Association by the Registrar, as decided by referendum conducted according to AMS Procedures. The fee will continue to be collected in successive years, subject to further referendum.